Roman Catholic Hospital was established on 30th November 1907 as a mission Hospital for the Roman Catholic Church with the vision of continuing the healing ministry of Christ. The Franciscan sisters of Nonnenwerth served as first administrators. Initially it was a 10 bed hospital and named 'Maria Stern Krankenhaus'. In 1922 when it was 60 bedded facility it was renamed as 'Maria Hilf Krankenhaus'. In 1925 it witnessed an expansion of a new wing which included five wards and two operating theatres. In mid 1930 the hospital was renamed as Roman Catholic Hospital and continues to serve the people of Namibia and others patients from other parts of Africa with the same Name. Time and again minor improvements were undertaken resulting from the influx of patients. It withstood First World War, different colonization's, poverty, epidemics and other calamities. In the year 1923 the administration of the hospital was shifted from the Franiscan sisters, to the Benedictine sisters of Tutzing. Today the Roman Catholic hospital is owned by the Archdiocese of Windhoek, Namibia and administered by the Benedictine sisters of Tutzing with the dedicated service from number of staff. The quality service the hospital offers and its good reputation took the hospital in a gradual and steady developmental road. Now Roman Catholic Hospital stands tall in Service with 111 beds facility with various specializations.
Our Story Began
In April 1906, there were plans to open a private "lazarett" in a house under construction on Mission Hill, next to the Roman Catholic Church.
Our story begins with out 'fair maidens' hailing from the Franciscan Sister of Heythuizen Nonnenwerth, being posted to this country to fulfill a contract with the 'Army Hospital', until 1907.
On expiry of the contract, it was expected that these Sisters would return to their place of origin, However, because of their dedication to the service, His Majesty the Emperor of Germany, bestowed upon them the Red Cross Brooch, and instead of returning home, the Franciscan Sisters were posted to the new hospital at the Roman Catholic Church, on Mission Hill in Windhoek, on 30th November 1907 which they named 'The Maria Stern Hospital.'
The new private hospital was described as very small and poorly furnishes, having only a few small rooms, yet it was a joy for the whole country. The hospital was poorly funded, and at times, care had to be taken of 36 Typhoid patients.
Statistics from the hospital between 1910 and 1920 indicates:
Year Patients Operations
1910 95 38
1911 240 75
1914 263 110
1915 445 329
1918 527 359
1920 501 559