top of page


Sr. Augusta Kunz arrived at RCH in 1965 to take over the function of running the 2 existing theatres. Some months later Sr. Sigeburg, asked for a transfer to Oshikuku as she wanted to serve in a proper mission station. The wing of the hospital were the Sisters had some rooms was converted into a hospital wing in 1966.

1966 also saw the arrival of Sr.Marita Haarmann, who stayed for a period of 9 months, and then went to Pretoria to study Midwifery. She returned in 1968 from the Republic of South Africa, where she took over the upper ward as sister in charge.

Sr. Marita was sent to Oshikuku in April 1969, where she served for 20 years, to return in December 1989. Sr. Oranna arrived in Windhoek in April 1972.

Round about the mid 1970's saw the first defibrillator in use in Namibia, which was purchased by RCH. In the same year, the laundry, which had existed since the early years, was upgraded with new equipment. In 1975 Sr.Berlindis bought a big autoclave. It needed its own building and boiler, but it was a big improvement to the small autoclave in theatre at the time.

In 1977, the Bishop ordered that the hospital be opened to all without barriers of race. Thus it was that the separation of races was practically a thing of the past in the Roman Catholic Hospital. 1981 brought a new era of technology to the hospital when the first ECG monitor was installed. In December 1981 Sr. Berlindis resigned from the hospital. She was 72 and her health was giving in. A whole area of medical history had come to an end.

In 1982 a terrible drought hit Namibia, and due to this, Roman Catholic Hospital was declared a "Mass User" of water, and serious restrictions were placed upon the hospital. Water had to be re-used where possible, and bath water was used to try and sustain the gardens, flushing toilets were "doctored" so that less water was used, etc. This was indeed a difficult period of time and lasted until the next rainy season.

Since 1960, three decades were to pass before another thorough renovation was to take place. Changes needed to be made, and soon - within a few years- things were happening. The administration took some small patient rooms; theatre bought a small autoclave for speedy sterilization.

The hospital continued growing and the two theatres proved too few for the workload. After long discussions with the Archbishop and his council in 1987, permission was granted to build two additional theatres. One was built with a lamina-flow air conditioning to be ready for joint replacements. The hospital was now also provided with a storeroom in the basement. There now was space for linen, autoclave and also a gas-sterilizer was added for good measure. 

The last construction period began in 1988 with the building of 2 more theatres. The theatres were handed over in June 1989.

bottom of page