top of page


Bear in mind, the Hospital was first build before the city of Windhoek. All the new buildings and streets surrounding the hospital, created such a lot of noise (cars and disco music) that double glazing was done to the windows of the hospital to try and dampen the noise. This in turn, had its own problem as the interior of the wards became very hot. Due to the incapacity and age of the electrical wiring, no air conditioners could be installed, until much later.

Many Russian patients were brought to RCH from Walvisbay harbour in need of medical attention. During the Cold War Russian ships fished around our country and sick seamen were brought to us.

Sr.Marita was happy to work with Sr.Oranna upon her return in 1989 taking up position in the upper ward and spending time for "bedside nursing" which RCH is so well known for.

Early 1990 hailed in a meeting with the OSB Sisters of the hospital. Sr. Marita was requested to take over Nursing Management. After some serious debating and coaxing from Prioress Mother Ignatia and other sisters, the position was finally accepted by Sr. Marita.

On March 21, 1990, the day of Namibia's independence, the patients and hospital staff shared the joy of everyone in the city and in the whole country.

Another new hospital was built in Windhoek in 1991, which also was a private hospital, belonging to the Medi-Clinic Group of hospitals in South Africa.

1991/92 upgrades were done to the whole interior of RCH, with air conditioning, nurse call intercom, oxygen supply, telephone call system and vacuum being installed, also baths installed in the patients rooms. The intercom is still used twice a day for morning and evening prayers, and is done in German, English and Afrikaans. 14 rooms were converted to en-suite rooms. Hand in hand with improvement of the buildings, went the upgrading of equipment as well as the latest in anesthesia delivery systems. The entire renovation aimed at keeping in the house a homely atmosphere which would contribute to the patients' sense of feeling at ease.

In 1994 came improvements to the exterior. Safety measures, such as external stairs, an emergency exit and fire hydrants had to be installed. Sheer co-incidence of the application of an ICU sister, who longed to again work in an ICU ward, sparked off an idea. Along came another ICU sister, also applying for a position at RCH. The idea soon became a sign from above that something had to be done, and the project was to follow soon. 

In June 1993, a high-care unit which soon developed into an intensive Care Unit was opened. This allowed for bigger and more extensive surgery and the admission of acute cardiac patients, and serious road accident patients. At the same time, the realization of a Casualty department took place.

This was arranged and was placed near the theatres. As medication was drawn at the hospital Dispensary, the need was also felt for a fully fledged pharmacy, which was also built.

In 1994 approximately 4000 patients were admitted and about 5500 patients visited the Out Patient Department. A rough estimate also indicates that 3800 operations were performed in the hospital. Casualty was just one room, situated where the x-ray room of Medical Imaging is now (next to the lift).

bottom of page