1930, the future was dark; as a result of extreme drought in the country many farmers were completely ruined, which created unemployment and a decline of the economy. The hospital showed great losses for patients treated free of charge. Bishop Gottard commented in a letter that the hospital were just managing to survive but that it was solely due to the fact that the Sisters received nothing for their labor, but a small sum for clothing. The city administration also funded the extension to the isolation ward in 1930.
By mid 1930, the hospital underwent another name change, and it finally became known as the Roman Catholic Hospital.
In 1932 the grounds of the hospital were attractively redone with the help of a former patient and his assistants, working hard for several weeks with zeal and diligence. The territory was also passing through most trying times both from the financial as from a meteorological point of view and there was also an increase in scurvy and tuberculosis.
The population of Windhoek had increased considerably, and it was time to consider a second extension. A wing of the one storey building was to have a second floor added. An X-ray department was added in 1934. A very modern x-ray machine was purchased, and Sr.Berlindis Bittl who arrived in 1932, a missionary, who had practical experience in the use of x-ray machines and other health care, installed it on her own. This Sister was real “God Sent” to the hospital as she worked in the Laboratory, the Theatre, the X-Ray Department, was also very knowledgeable with maintenance and also executed a lot of it. Sr. Berlindis Bittl, easily the best known Sister of all to those who ever worked in this hospital, managed the whole hospital single handed. She was Matron, in-charge of theatre, allotted the beds to all the patients (she did not do the administration work), worked in the laboratory, saw every emergency outside office hours day and night, put up all difficult drips and stitched up many wounds at any day or night time. She saw to it, that the hospital was always well equipped and had the best quality of instruments and furniture. As stated earlier, she was excellent at maintenance, she could weld, repaired broken plugs, opened blocked drains, sharpened cut-off Kirschner wires and whatever had to be done.